Department of Computing + Mathematical Sciences
California Institute of Technology
Email: lchua (at) caltech.edu
I am a postdoctoral scholar at Caltech in the CMS department, advised by Thomas Vidick. Before coming to Caltech, I got a PhD in computer science at UC Berkeley, advised by Bernd Sturmfels and Alessandro Chiesa. My Bachelor's degree was in Mathematics with Computer Science at MIT.
My research interests include post-quantum cryptography and computational algebraic geometry.
- On the concrete security of LWE with small secret with Hao Chen, Kristin Lauter, and Yongsoo Song, (2020).
- Computing Theta Functions with Julia
with Daniele Agostini, (2019), to appear in Journal of Software for Algebra and Geometry.
Julia package: Theta.jl.
- On the Schottky problem for genus five Jacobians with a vanishing theta null
with Daniele Agostini, to appear in Annali della Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa, Classe di Scienze.
- On cycles of pairing-friendly elliptic curves
with Alessandro Chiesa and Matthew Weidner, SIAM Journal on Applied Algebra and Geometry, 3(2), 175-192 (2019).
- Schottky Algorithms: Classical meets Tropical
with Mario Kummer and Bernd Sturmfels, Mathematics of Computation, 88, 2541-2558 (2019).
From Curves to Tropical Jacobians and Back
with Barbara Bolognese and Madeline Brandt,
Combinatorial Algebraic Geometry, 21-45, Fields Inst. Commun. 80, Fields Inst. Res. Math. Sci., (2017).
with Daniel Plaumann, Rainer Sinn and Cynthia Vinzant,
Ordered algebraic structures and related topics, 81-105, Contemp. Math., 697, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, (2017).
Proof of a conjecture of Guy on class numbers
with Benjamin Gunby, Soohyun Park and Allen Yuan,
International Journal of Number Theory, 11(4), 1345-1355 (2015).
Bounded gaps between primes in special sequences
with Soohyun Park and Geoffrey D. Smith,
Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society, 143(11), 4597-4611 (2015).
Equipopularity classes of 132-avoiding permutations
with Krishanu Roy Sankar,
Electronic Journal of Combinatorics, 21(1), (2014).
Gallai-colorings of triples and 2-factors of B3
with András Gyárfás and Chetak Hossain,
International Journal of Combinatorics, 929565 (2013).
Psi-epistemic theories: The role of symmetry
with Scott Aaronson, Adam Bouland and George Lowther,
Physical Review A, 88(3), 032111 (2013). Editor's suggestion.
Novel ferroelectric capacitor for non-volatile memory storage and biomedical tactile sensor applications
with Shi Yang Liu, Kian Chuan Tan and S.E. Valavan,
Thin Solid Films, 518(24), e152-e155 (2010).
- Bay Area Julia Users. April 11, 2020. Computing theta functions with Julia.
- UC Berkeley EECS Department, Dissertation Talk. March 6, 2020. Numerical algorithms for the classical and tropical Schottky problem.
- Simons Institute for the Theory of Computing, Workshop on Lattices: Geometry, Algorithms and Hardness. February 19, 2020. On the concrete security of LWE with small secret.
- UC Irvine Number Theory/Cryptography Seminar. November 14, 2019. On the concrete security of the unique Shortest Vector Problem.
- Microsoft Research Cryptography Intern Lunch Talk. July 10, 2019. Cycles of pairing-friendly elliptic curves.
- Humboldt University Berlin Algebraic Geometry Seminar. February 13, 2019. Schottky Algorithms: Classical meets Tropical.
- 2nd Tropical Geometry Workshop, Tokyo Metropolitan University. December 22, 2018. Schottky Algorithms: Classical meets Tropical.
- Harvard/MIT Algebraic Geometry Seminar. November 13, 2018. Schottky Algorithms: Classical meets Tropical.
- UC Berkeley CA+AG Seminar. October 30, 2018. Schottky Algorithms: Classical meets Tropical.
- Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). May 17, 2018. Schottky Algorithms: Classical meets Tropical.
- NUS Department of Mathematics. January 10, 2018. Schottky Algorithms: Classical meets Tropical.
- SIAM Conference on Applied Algebraic Geometry, Minisymposium on Real Algebraic Geometry and Optimization, Atlanta. August 2, 2017. Gram Spectrahedra.
- Seminar on Non-Linear Algebra, Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences, Leipzig. June 27, 2017. Cycles of Elliptic Curves: Applications to Cryptography.
- Trends in Optimization Seminar (TOPS), University of Washington. February 14, 2017. Gram Spectrahedra.
- Theta.jl: a Julia package for computing the Riemann theta function.
Six Quantum Pieces
with Valerio Scarani and Shi Yang Liu (World Scientific, Singapore, 2010).